Del Monte Kenya Limited wishes to fill existing vacancies for the position ofSenior Research Agronomist.
He or she will join a high achieving management team, in our Research & Development Department.
Reporting to the Research & Development Manager, the person will be responsible for: -
- Study factors affecting nutrient uptake and utilisation by plants.
- Identify ways in which plants productivity can be enhanced by more efficient use of nutrients.
- Develop diagnostic tools for rapid detection of nutrient deficiencies.
- Study plant water requirements and develop efficient irrigation scheduling tools.
- Develop field/crop monitoring techniques for soil fertility, plant nutrition, water requirement, plant growth, fruit development and fruit quality.
- Identify knowledge gaps and carry out field and laboratory experiments in plant nutrition, soil fertility, plant water requirement, and cultural practices such as planting densities, seed materials, and spacing.
- Development/improvement of agronomic packages required for optimum pineapple production.
- Coordinate activities of the analytical chemistry laboratory.
- Supervising, motivating and training of field workers on experimentation and data collection.
- Health/safety of the worker, environment, and product.
The ideal candidate should meet the following requirements: -
- Aged 30 - 35 years.
- Must have a B.SC. Degree in Agriculture or related field and at least M.Sc. degree in Soil Science, Integrated Soil Fertility Management, or any other related course.
- Substantial experience in soil fertility, plant nutrition, and integrated soil-plant-water-nutrient management .
- Experience in irrigation scheduling.
- Good data utilization and analytical skills.
- The ability to work meticulously and accurately under pressure of deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A flexible approach and an ability to work within a team.
- Computing skills (experience of word processing, Excel spreadsheet, presentation, and database package).
- Clean driving license.
- Working in a research institution or research department of a large scale farming business.
- Experience on implementation of the Global GAP certification requirements at the farm level.
- Experience in chemical analysis.
- A self motivated team player.
Human Resources Manager,
Del monte Kenya Ltd,
P.O. Box 147 - 01000,
Email: email@example.com, by 20th April, 2012.