The Eastern Africa College of Ophthalmologists (EACO) is a regional organization focusing on quality health education and training in the Eastern Africa region.
Our mandate is to contribute to the development of human resources for health through quality training in ophthalmology; set standards for professional ophthalmic practice; facilitate continuous professional development; contribute to health policy development; and, promote research which advances ophthalmology in the region.
We're looking for an energetic, enthusiastic, and self-driven person with a keen interest in the health sector to join a team of professionals to build an institution that will support the above functions in the region.
You must be dynamic, be able to work in a team environment and be a catalyst for peer learning on key issues within the organization. You must be able to keep yourself and the organization abreast with changing sector knowledge and best practices.
Programme Officer Position
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the person will primarily carry out programme design, planning, budgeting, and take a leadership role in implementation.
The position holder will liaise with partners and members to understand their expectations and needs to be able to provide timely and effective support.
S/he will carry out monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning activities independently and also as part of a team. The person may be required to represent the organization in external events.
The person will ensure that the organization’s resources are effectively and efficiently utilized in delivering on programmes in line with the objectives and in pursuit of the mission of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing leadership in programme design, budgeting, planning and implementation;
- programme monitoring, evaluation, reporting and learning including development and use of various information management tools;
- Providing timely, complete and accurate and relevant information to stakeholders on a continuous basis;
- Generate relevant data that will support all aspects of effective and efficient programming;
- Compile accurate, comprehensive activity and programme reports;
- Assist in updating and organizing organizational information shared in various media;
- Organize and manage different kinds of events relating to programmes and visibility;
- Participate and/or represent the organization in forums relevant to organizational mission;
- Administration of the programme’s budgets and expenditures and ensure timely and accurate accountability of resources in his/her charge; and,
- Analyze, document and disseminate emerging trends and knowledge in the sector.
- An interest in health sector, development work, health training, and public policy;
- Experience in NGO work will be a plus;
- Good understanding of programming tools and approaches including Project Cycle Management, Logframes, RBM, and basic approaches in M&E;
- Excellent team player;
- Experience in administration and events organization;
- Good understanding of knowledge management;
- Ability to work with minimal or no supervision;
- Some exposure to electronic data management systems;
- Team player and willingness to work in a multi-cultural team setting;
- Willingness to learn new approaches.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Systems Management, Public Health, Public policy or any other related degree.Graduate degree will be a plus.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Strong analytical and report writing skills;
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate workshops;
- Possess computer skills including MS Office applications, internet, and emails;
- Experience in supporting and/or carrying our research.
Location: Secretariat in Nairobi, with occasional travel to the field.
To apply for these positions, please send your application letter and a detailed CV and contacts of at least 3 referees before April 4, 2012 to:
The Programme Manager,