Other duties include delimitation of electoral units, registration of voters, regulation of political parties, voter education, settling of electoral disputes and modernization and reforming of electoral processes and systems.
IEBC ensures that elections are credible, transparent, free and fair. It is committed to upholding national values and principles of good governance and democracy.
The Commission adheres to principles of the law on public services especially on leadership and integrity.
The IEBC invites applications for the following positions.
Regional ICT Officer
- To provide first line support on all general and Commission-specific software and hardware issues in the regions.
- To communicate information on hardware and software issues to corporate ICT Services
- Solve regional ICT issues including remote access, emails and telephone.
- To assist in the selection and disposal of redundant ICT Equipment.
- To dismantle, move and reassemble ICT equipment as needed and transport ICT equipment to other sites as required.
- Provide onsite technical support with hardware and software issues where needed, including travelling to other commission sites in their region of responsibility.
- Provide ICT point of contact to all users and third parties for all regional ICT matters, and escalate to ICT at the Headquarters issues that cannot be resolved locally.
- To ensure the maintenance of a healthy, safe and secure working environment through ensuring compliance with health and safety requirements in relation to ICT.
- Implement information security at the regional level as directed by the ICT directorate.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Full certification in Networks (e.g. CCNA, CCNP) or Microsoft Certification (e.g. Microsoft Certified Professional) required.
- Basic hardware troubleshooting and maintenance strongly preferred.
- Three (3) years of relevant industry experience in a busy organization.
- Must be passionate about ICT.
- Must be a team player, service oriented, eager to learn and pro-active, willing to develop initiatives and stress resistant.
- Develop a plan to register potential Voters and supervise implementation of the plan.
- Coordinate with Regional Election Coordinators and Constituency Election Coordinators to effectively carry out a registration program.
- Prepare a budget whenever the registration exercise is to take place
- Plan and ensure continuous registration of new voters
- Develop accountability measures, monitor the performance indicators at the constituency levels and ensure the timely preparation of periodic reports.
- Ensure the voters’ register is cleaned periodically
- A degree in Economics, or Economics and mathematics or Economics and Statistics from a recognized university/Institution
- Post graduate qualifications in ICT, survey Techniques will be an added advantage
- Three years of relevant experience in a busy organization
- Document and catalogue of all legal documents
- Run the Legal Registry and process all records by creating paper and electronic folders, filing and retrieving information in accordance with departmental records management procedures so that staff can find the information they need quickly and easily.
- Manage the location and storage of Policy and Planning records, including: conducting an annual records audit on all litigation files;
- Organize the disposal of finalized suits and petitions; ensuring that access to Legal records is controlled at all times in accordance with departmental policy and procedure
- Degree in Information Management Systems related field
- Certification on record keeping or related field will be an added advantage
- Three (3) years experience from a reputable and busy Law firm or corporate organization with a strong emphasis on Record Keeping.
- Conducting Legal research and offer legal opinions
- Preparing and presenting position papers on a wide variety of legal issues including Dispute Resolution Mechanisms.
- Monitoring and coordinating training in Dispute Resolution Mechanisms under the supervision of the Manager.
- Undertaking and overseeing a wide range of litigation practice including, but not restricted to, Civil Litigation, Election Petitions, Civic Inquiries and Arbitrations in all Courts and Tribunals in Kenya, both subordinate and superior
- A Law Degree (LLB) from a recognized University.
- Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law.
- Admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Three (3) years’ experience from a reputable and busy Law firm or corporate organization with a strong emphasis on litigation.
- Provide technical expertise and recommendations in assessing new IT software projects and initiatives to support and enhance our existing Microsoft based systems.
- Modify existing or create new application programs to address business requirements
- Develop and maintain custom applications which include a number of in-house systems.
- Identify opportunities that can improve efficiency of business processes.
- Investigate and resolve application functionality related issues and provide support and troubleshooting of business systems in area of assigned responsibility.
- Troubleshoot technical issues in software applications and identify modifications needed in existing applications to meet changing user requirements.
- Provides assistance and advice to business users in the effective use of applications and information technology.
- Prepare and test sample datasets to ensure that output from new or modified systems work as intended.
- Conduct user acceptance testing to ensure the program can be used easily and functions as intended
- Write detailed documentation for the operation of the program by users and computer operators.
- Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum of four (4) years hands-on experience in systems development.
- Must have a working knowledge of relational databases, web and client-server concepts.
- Fluent in at least two programming languages / tools.
- A demonstrated track record in the delivery of large, integrated ICT projects required.
- Good background in relational databases and modern programming languages.
- Data conversion and migration techniques
- Leadership and people management skills
- Project management skills
- A good understanding of the electoral process is desired.
Applicants should fill the online form provided on the Commission website www.iebc.or.ke/careers.
A printed copy of the form and copies of certificates can be dropped or posted to the
Chief Executive Officer/ Commission Secretary
at the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission, Anniversary Towers,
6th Floor Reception, University Way,
P. O. Box 45371 - 00100 Nairobi, Kenya.
Forms are also available at the Commission Headquarters and Regional Offices.
Applications must be received on or before 30st March 2012.
The Commission is a equal opportunity employer.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be vetted as per Chapter Six of the Constitution.
Chief Executive Officer / Commission Secretary