The Kenya Leather Development Council (KLDC) was established under the State Corporations Act Chapter 446 of the Laws of Kenya vide Legal Notice No. 114 of 9th September 2011.
The functions of the Council as given under Clause 5 of the mentioned Legal Notice are:
- To provide advisory services to the Minister on matters related to processing of and trade in hides, skins, leather and leather goods for planning purposes.
- To promote, direct, coordinate and harmonize all activities in the leather sub-sector.
- To guide the implementation of the Board’s Policies and Strategies.
- To oversee licensing in the leather subsector.
- To collect, store, analyze and disseminate data in the leather sub-sector.
- To enhance internal and external marketing strategies.
- To perform such other functions as the Minister may consider necessary.
The Secretary/CEO will be responsible to the Board of the Council, and shall be the Principal Officer of the Council responsible for the overall leadership and implementation of the Council’s mandate, vision, mission, objectives and aspirations.
- Oversee the operations of the Council’s secretariat.
- Chief adviser to the Council and regular preparation of briefs to the Council members.
- Coordinating and implementation of the Strategic Plan and realization of its objectives.
- Supervise preparation and implementation of the Performance Appraisal System and Contracts for KLDC staff.
- Establish strategic partnership with development partners and relevant international and regional organizations.
- Ensure prudent management of resources, fundraising and security of assets to the Council.
- Ensure that periodic financial reports as required by the Legal framework are prepared to all relevant officers.
- Execution of financial and administrative approvals.
- Promote institutional accountability and timely decision making processes.
- Must have served for a minimum period of fifteen (15) years in the leather sector in the Public Service.
- Must have a minimum Master’s degree in leather related field from a recognized institution and well versed in the leather-subsector.
- Member of leather related and recognized professional body.
- Has contributed widely in National, Regional and International leather related forums.
- Must have done a six (6) weeks Strategic Leadership Development Programme
- Must have a certificate in Project and Programme Management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks.
- Ability to articulate and implement Council’s mandate.
- Organizational, analytical management and decision making skills.
- Creativity and innovation.
- Technical problem solving.
- Resource management skills.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Integrity and commitment to producing results.
- Leadership, advocacy, result oriented, self-driven, relationship building and collaborative.
- Appreciation and application of technology in the work environment.
- Passion for continuous professional development and research.
- Initiative to achieve expected results.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letters in sealed envelopes clearly marked ‘Application for Secretary/Chief Executive Officer, Kenya Leather Development Council’ on or before 6th April 2012 to the contact below, enclosing the following:
- Certified Copies of Academic and Professional Certificates and Testimonials
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae giving details of telephone contacts, email addresses, current position and remuneration, and
- Names and contacts of three (3) referees.
Kenya Leather Development Council
P O Box 14480-00800
N/B: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and canvassing will result to automatic disqualification. Kenya Leather Development Council is an equal opportunity employer.