It operates from the central office in The Hague in the Netherlands, regional offices and additional country offices worldwide.
The organization was founded in 1903 by a private Dutch initiative and now operates worldwide. For its funding KCNV is dependent on government subsidies and private contributions through fundraising.
Purpose of the job
KNCV primary activity is the building of capacity through the provision of technical assistance, operational research and training to the national TB control efforts at country level.
KNCV is in the process of decentralizing core activities from the central office in The Hague to the regional office in Nairobi.
One of these activities is the development of the specific technical area of operational research in the African region.
- Carrying out national and international epidemiological TB research in the African region
- Maintaining and analyzing a data
- Developing project plans and proposals for research projects.
- Assisting researchers in countries in setting up and carrying out research projects; building capacity for research by giving technical support and monitoring performance of the work. This may include local MSc and PhD students.
- Maintaining contacts with national and international research organizations such as universities, the Medical Research Institutes Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) etc.
- Publishing scientific articles and disseminate results
- Advising and supporting national TB program staff and partner institutions in the African region in setting up and conducting TB research in a national and international context.
- Academic level of working and thinking (preferable medical specialization).
- Doctorate degree (PhD) or a minimum of 4 or more first author publications in international journals (not counting abstracts).
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with research techniques and statistics.
- Knowledge of epidemiology preferable in the area of tuberculosis.
- Experience in training and capacity building processes.
- Ability to work in a team and as an individual.
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English.
- Demonstrated skills in software as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and research data analysis and statistical programs.
To apply for this position please send a cover letter, CV and names of three (3) references to KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, Nairobi.
Email: email@example.com under subject ‘Senior Epidemiologist’ before 14th April 2012. For
further information on KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, please also see www.kncvtbc.nl and www.tbcare1.org.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.