Mercy Corps has recently been awarded a 3-year program under USAID’s Yes Youth Can initiative, covering six regions in Kenya; Western, Nyanza, Rift Valley, Central, Nairobi and Coast.
The core of this program is a Youth Innovate for Change Fund (YICF), which will be a youth-owned, youth-led and youth-managed financial facility to support local solutions for community economic development as it grows in value.
This program aims to appropriately empower Kenyan youth (15-35yrs) to strengthen their socio-economic and political stakes through youth-led and managed initiatives and institutions.
The YICF will in the first three years provide sustainable financial and skills development assistance to approximately 200,000 youth through a variety of youth-identified social and economic community development projects.
Program / Department Summary:
Yes Youth Can, funded by USAID, endeavors to empower Kenya’s youth in new and meaningful ways.
Yes Youth Can is an unprecedented program that puts youth truly in the lead of their own and Kenya’s development.
The core of the program is that it is:
- Youth-led: Youth ideas, local knowledge and innovations drive the process.
- Youth-managed: Youth implement program elements (grants, investments, Youth Bunges, research) while leveraging mentoring and coaching.
- Youth-owned: Youth are in control of all decisions within the institutional structures as a result of fair democratic elections, using a bottom up, localized demand approach.
Through this process, youth will recognize that they are in charge of transforming their society and will become catalysts for development in their communities. Such an approach to youth development programming has the ability to change the paradigm for youth programming both in Kenya and around the world.
The Yes Youth Can initiative comprises five implementing partners in six regions of Kenya as well as the national partner (Yes Youth Can National), Mercy Corps. Yes Youth Can National comprises four entities: a youth trust, a youth sustainable development think tank, a youth non-governmental organization to disburse community grants, and finally Tahidi Youth Fund to manage innovative micro and SME venture capital to youth enterprises.
General Consultancy Summary:
The Lead Rapporteur will be responsible for overseeing the Collection, compilation, editing and report writing of the output and ongoings from the County Bunge Forum conference, The rapporteur will work closely with the leadership program manager, Lead rapporteur and the conference organizing team. The consultancy engagement is for 5 days.
Essential Consultancy Areas:
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Compile the output of sessions allocated to them
- Ensure all details pertaining to the on goings of the sessions allocated in the conference are well captured and recorded
- Note all interesting occurrences during the formal and informal sessions of the conference
- Ensure that all the output of sessions is Compiled
- Compile a detailed report of the sessions covered at the conference
- Have a Degree/Diploma Linguistics, Education, Social sciences or related field
- At least two (1) years relevant work experience.
- Practical experience with Desktop Publishing Software
- Critical thinking, problem solving and good judgment skills.
- Excellent typing skills
- Must have proven track record of work ethics and productivity and be passionate about details.
- Experience in organizing and writing, editing and producing technical reports and presentations.
- Have a passion for writing and good grammar
- Kiswahili, Kenyan Sheng and English language fluency required.
The successful individual will have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrate an ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with internal staff.
S/he will be able to productively work as a member of an overall project team and as an individual.
S/he will have a commitment to staff and program to produce artworks in a timely and a creative manner.
The candidate will be required to present a comprehensive portfolio of their previous work.
The successful Rapporteurs will also be able to prioritize and multi-task for the timely completion of deliverables.
Reports Directly To: Leadership program manager, Yes Youth Can National
Works Directly With: The Lead Rapporteur
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience
Should submit on or before 23rd March 2012, at 2.00 p.m. a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject; “Rapporteur National Bunge Association Conference, Yes Youth Can National”
Applications without this subject heading will be disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
(ONLY Qualified short-listed candidates will be contacted)