UHAI EASHRI aims to build a strong, diverse and organised movement for change through grant making, capacity support and convening.
UHAI EASHRI seeks to recruit for the position of Programme Officer and Grants Administrator.
This is a senior management position and the staff member will work closely with the Executive Director and the Finance and Administration Manager.
Under the overall supervision of the Executive Director, the Programme Officer and Grants Administrator will assist with overseeing the coordination of all UHAI Programmes and oversee the administration of all grants given to our partners.
1. Policy Analysis and Advocacy:
- Work with the Executive Director in advocating for a human rights and social justice approach to sexual health and rights policies and laws in East Africa.
- Assist the Executive Director in the development and publication of reports and advocacy documents on issues related to sexual health and rights.
- Assist in the development of training activities for our partners.
- Managing consultants who are contracted to provide capacity building support to our partners.
- Assist in the development of proposals for submission to potential donor partners.
- Maintain a calendar with all the different donor reporting schedules and reporting requirements.
- Development of donor reports.
- Manage the grants database with complete documentation of the proposals submitted for funding.
- Prepare documents necessary for the award-processing of grants made to our partners.
- Ensure the appropriate disbursement of grant awards to grantee partners.
- Maintain regular communication with our grantee partners to ensure grantee reporting is done appropriately, as well as sharing information on any upcoming activities.
- Conduct site visits to our grantee partners.
- Operation of the grants management system to manage individual grantee files effectively.
- Analysing of submitted grantee reports and assisting them with monitoring and evaluation of their work.
- Work with the Executive Director on all aspects of programme management including organising national, regional and international meetings and conferences.
- Represent UHAI EASHRI in varied fora.
- Direct line manager to the Programme Assistant and the programme interns.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
- A degree in public health, public policy, human rights, law or social sciences.
- Five years of experience in advocacy or direct service delivery related to sexuality, human rights and/or HIV and AIDS; at least three years of which should be in East Africa.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to human rights and social justice approaches to promoting sexual health and rights.
- Familiarity with grants management, programme design, budget management, and monitoring and evaluation with grassroots organisations.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Proficiency in French and Swahili will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated skills in presentations, research, writing, communications and media work.
- Demonstrable analytic and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong organisational and management skills with attention to detail.
- Willingness to travel within the East African region and internationally.
- Knowledge and experience of sex worker and LGBTI rights is highly desired.
- Sensitivity, flexibility, tolerance and ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.
- Ability to work effectively both independently (without detailed daily supervision) and as a member of a team, on a wide range of tasks.
- An ability to question and challenge existing norms in a bid to create new avenues of thought and practice.
- UHAI EASHRI will offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and ability.
- UHAI EASHRI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis including ethnicity, physical ability, age, gender identity and sexual orientation.
- The position is only open to East African nationals and residents.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com with POGA Application as the subject line.
Application deadline is April 11 and interviews will be held on April 16-17 in Nairobi.