Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies was conceived in 2007 out of the belief that giving every child access to a high quality education would have the greatest impact on reducing poverty worldwide.
With that guiding insight, Bridge International developed a strategy that would enable it to launch a large-scale network of high-quality, ultra low-cost, for-profit primary schools.
Operating a network of schools supported by a strong central headquarters gives Bridge International the scale, experience, and capacity to invest in systems of management, support, training, and innovation that allows individual schools to dramatically increase their effectiveness.
Using this model, Bridge International is able to profitably deliver high-quality education for $4 per child per month. This ensures that its academies will continue to successfully serve its communities as long as parents value the educational service provided.
The first Bridge International Academy launched successfully in Kenya in 2009 and 60 academies will be operating in Kenya in January 2012. Through rapid and strategic expansion, Bridge International will provide a quality education to over a million students in the coming years.
About this position
Bridge International Academies is looking an experienced Senior Project Architect to help our construction team with the design, drawing and supervision of low cost schools. This position involves iterative and repeated update and review of Bills of Quantities.
The individual must be very comfortable working in informal environments and must have managed multiple projects that are geographically dispersed.
- The individual will be managing anywhere from 10-30 construction projects simultaneously. These projects are not complex, but the deadlines are tight (less than 6 weeks) and the resources are limited. As a result, timeliness will be critical to ensure that projects take off within the stipulated timelines.
- The architect shall prepare typical layout and detailed drawings for standard application in the construction of the branded schools.
- In addition to standard drawings, the architect shall prepare site-specific site layouts, and ground preparation schemes.
- Working closely with the land acquisition team, tasks shall include site measurement, site evaluation, site analysis and ground preparation prior to commencement of construction.
- Reviewing and continuously improving the school design to enhance space utilization and ergonomics of the spaces and furniture.
- Reviewing typical BQs to adjust for changes due to specific site conditions, design reviews or process improvement
- Minimum of 8 years experience in a busy architectural design environment handling multiple projects concurrently
- Demonstrated experience in production of construction detail drawings
- Excellent AutoCAD/ArchiCAD/Artlantis skills and experience including 3D and rendering
- Must be able to manage competing demands, accept criticism and constructive feedback while being extremely adaptable and flexible
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills are required
- Ability to identify potential problems, conflict and delays before they become an issue and communicate them clearly to the Head of Department
- Good people management skills that result in timely completion of deliverables
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Preferably registered with BORAGS (Board of Registration)
- Degree in Architecture
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.