The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) is a global leader in the fight against
pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 15 countries and at over 5,100 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected.
Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States.
With a growing global staff of nearly 1,300—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement prevention, care, and treatment; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
EGPAF in Kenya is looking to recruit a Country Director to be based in Nairobi.
The Country Director will promote the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation’s mission of
eliminating pediatric HIV/AIDS through its global strategic plan by leading and managing the country program strategy and team as well as the effective and efficient delivery and expansion of Foundation supported country programs and services in collaboration with local government, donors and other stakeholders in Kenya.
Serving on the Global Leadership team, the Country Director will collaborate with global support units to ensure that the following goals are achieved:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Team Leadership - Develop a cohesive and productive team, creating goals, communicating
direction, utilizing creative thinking, and demonstrating good judgment and decision making.
Being a strong example to others through a productive work environment and supporting ongoing development of staff; working in close collaboration with global support units, Country Support Officers, and the Global Support Team.
Operations Management - Ensure efficient department operations and demonstrating strong management skills by setting effective work plans, ensuring appropriate staffing and training, implementing effective time management and providing clear and effective communications to country and global staff.
Program and Technical Support - Understand programmatic and technical aspects
of program needs and with the country and global teams appropriately applying procedures,
requirements, regulations, and policies ensuring technical goals attained and programmatic
commitments to donors and partners are met.
Program and Foundation Representation - Act as the primary Country’s spokesperson
for the Foundation at all stakeholder levels and to act as EGPAF representative for internal and
external communications and visitors and providing reports and proposals to all stakeholders.
To advance advocacy and policy efforts in the country related to the Foundation’s mission at the
national and local level so as to identify and influence decision makers in the area of pediatric HIV/ AIDS policy and associated funding opportunities.
New Business Development - Maintain and secure mid- to long-term funding for the country program by actively seeking diversified international and local sources of funding in view of identified country program needs and/or local requests related to the Foundation mission.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education (MD, MPH, MBA, MSc, MA).
- 8+ years successful experience managing complex multi-sector programs in an African setting; experience in Kenya preferred.
- At least 5 years proven experience in managing US government grants and/or cooperative agreements. Other international donor experiences an advantage.
- Proven experience in leading and managing staff, including recruitment, staff development, training, mentoring, and performance assessment.
- Demonstrated financial management experience, including the preparation and management of budgets and contracts, and the management of banking activities and relationships including the adherence to procurement procedures.
- Proven experience in networking, public relations, communications, advocacy and new business development.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally up to 30%.
- Excellent knowledge of developing program activities, including HIV service delivery, capacity building, and public health and program monitoring in collaboration with MOH departments and other stakeholders. Comprehensive knowledge of HIV prevention, care and treatment programs.
- Strong understanding of the international development context and experience in the international development sector (NGO, direct bilateral, multilateral relationships) and with cross cultural teams.
- Knowledge of principles and practices governing USAID, CDC, and/or other US Federal grant programs.
- Excellent strategic planning skills, including the ability to merge the technical and operational demands of the program into a cohesive structure.
- Knowledge and experience of development program quality strengthening including program sustainability, capacity building, project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative) and related data and fiscal reporting.
- Ability to cultivate effective communication channels between the country office and EGPAF global offices and Kenya’s offices(s), and between EGPAF team and other partners/stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and presentation skills with small and large audiences. Confidence in handling prominent gatherings, media and events where high-level protocol is to be observed.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while working as part of a team, including the support and management of geographically disbursed sub offices.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online atwww.pedaids.org
EGPAF is mainly funded by United states Agency for International Development (USAID) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and UNICEF
The closing date is 13 April, 2012.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted