Reporting to the Managing Director, the incumbent will have overall oversight of the programming department which is responsible for content planning and market benchmarking; acquisition and scheduling in line with the station’s overall viewership ratings objectives and associated target audience profiling.
Job Ref: HR-PM-04-2012
The core purpose of this position is the competitive acquisition, scheduling and management of programming for NMG’s television channels.
In addition, the incumbent will also actively interpret quarterly audience research, ensure scheduling is responsive to research and work closely with marketing to develop competitive and creative concepts for all programming genres and blocks.
The successful candidate will also oversee content publicity and promotion on both television and the website for all television channels.
The job requires a keen interest in media consumption, consumer behaviour and the competitive landscape in East Africa, excellent judgment, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
Working with a small team, the core responsibilities of the job are as follows:
- In consultation with research and other TV managers and in-house teams, manage and develop market- appropriate and effective television schedules. This includes the acquisition of third party content and daily performance monitoring and management of on air transmission;
- Consolidate, in partnership with the marketing and sales team, the audience Research function within the organisation, as a key input into strategic and tactical decision making at the corporate level as well as across business units;
- Develop and manage annual budgets for programming, acquisitions and all other related aspects of broadcasting programming;
- Ensure the optimal use of funds and all related resources;
- Develop and maintain high-level supplier relationships;
- Oversee contract adherence, contract renewals & deal structuring;
- Monitor performance of channels its brand awareness, appreciation and viewership;
- In consultation with Head of TV, source local commissioned and co-produced content and ideas that will enhance the station competitiveness and grow ratings;
- Oversee the administration and management of local content suppliers and commissioned producers;
- Oversee the day to day operations of the in-house team of schedulers and acquisitions administrators.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, media or marketing and a minimum of five years of experience in media or related environment, preferably in a substantial & strategic position;
- Television experience preferred; experience in advertising agency or research house is an added advantage;
- Knowledge of the East African media & consumer landscape with keen interest in media consumption trends in the region;
- Highly developed sense of responsibility & accountability with excellent judgment, combined with initiative flexibility required to thrive in a start-up;
- Excellent written and spoken communication, presentation and negotiation skills;
- Excellent ability to create and maintain high-level, productive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders;
- Proven management skills of people, resources and projects.
If you meet the above criteria, apply online athttp://careers.nationmedia.com before 13th April 2012.
Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted.