CIMMYT is a non-profit research and training centre with direct links to about 100 countries through offices in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar development goals, including the public and private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, relief and health agencies, farmers, and the development assistance community.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) seeks to recruit a Kenyan national as a Research Technician. The position will be based at KARI-Katumani, Stem borer Mass Rearing Laboratory (Insectary), Machakos, Kenya.
- Artificially rear different species of maize stem borers (Chilo partellus, Busseola fusca, Sesamia calamisstis, and Eldana Saccharina) pests
- Plan seasonal insect supplies in collaboration with CIMMYT and KARI scientists
- Plan and procure necessary diets ingredients and lab consumables
- Consistently supply the stem borers in required quantities, and qualities in a timely manner
- Run the insectary units and under the supervision of the Manager of the KARI Katumani Mass Rearing Laboratory
- Together with the CIMMYT entomologist, carry out gene infusion with fresh wild stem borer colonies.
- Keep records of insect supplies
- Keep records of insect sales and lab consumables, labour and other important occurrences in the lab.
- When needed carry out artificial infestation of stem borers in field trials
- Train and/or demonstrate stem borer rearing facilities to trainees, visiting scientists, graduate students, etc.
- At least a diploma in Applied Biology, Crop Production and Protection, Agriculture or related fields. A degree in any of the fields will be an advantage.
- At least one year experience in stem borer mass rearing
- Experience in field infestation with stem borers
- Ability to effectively work with minimum supervision
- Willingness to work during weekends as well as monitoring the insectary at odd hours when needed.
- Proven computing skills. Experience in use of statistical analysis software for data analysis will be an advantage.
- Good communication and organizational skills
- A Kenyan citizen with a valid Kenya driver’s license
- Practical experience in field experimental layout will be an added advantage.
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to six (6) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
Applications will be considered until 18th April 2012.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about CIMMYT and World Agroforestry Centre by accessing our websiteswww.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org