This is a collection of jobs and vacancies in Kenya and beyond for Kenyans. Find jobs in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru , Nyeri, Eldoret and other major towns.
Feel free to submit jobs vacancies and positions in Kenya or for Kenyans to jobskenya @ ovi.com all at no cost.
Google Web Search
Thursday, March 23, 2017
Mercy Corps Consultancy Services for Financial, Accounting and Operations Management and Reporting for Crescent Takaful Sacco
Request for Proposal
Consultancy services for financial, accounting and operations management and reporting
A. Mercy Corps (MC)
Mercy Corps is a leading global humanitarian agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places.
In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps has been supporting Crescent Takaful Sacco Society Limited (CTS) to establish and expand into Northern Kenya with a view to providing appropriate financial services to vulnerable communities in the region.
To date this support has included financial and technical support that enabled CTS to open a branch in Wajir in November 2016.
Mercy Corps will continue to provide technical and capacity building support to CTS including the strengthening of their financial and administrative systems.
B. Crescent Takaful Sacco Society Limited (CTS)
CTS is the first Shariah-Compliant Savings and Credit Co-operative (SACCO) in Kenya and the greater East African Region.
CTS commenced operations on 17th December 2013. CTS’ primary objective is to increase financial inclusion among communities in the Arid-and Semi-Arid (ASALs) in Northern Kenya.
The primary objectives of this short-term consultancy is for the Consultant to support CTS with accounting and reporting, cash forecast operations and procurement.
If the consultant successfully completes the assignment and is interested, the position is intended to transition into a full-time position.
D. Scope of work
The financial, accounting and operations management and reporting consultant, under the supervision of CTS’ Wajir-based Microfinance Manager (MFM) is responsible for the everyday finance, administrative & operations management of CTS’ Wajir branch.
This includes accounting and financial reporting, overseeing and providing supervision support to the Finance Officers, developing and monitoring budgets and forecasts, supervising and leading procurement and human resources (HR), ensuring adherence to funder and CTS rules and regulations.
The specific sets of activities to be performed by the consultant are as follows:
1) Timely completion of accounting and financial reporting requirements for submission to the funding agencies and CTS Head office;
2) Ensure payments are released within sufficient bank liquidity levels and alert the Microfinance Manager when levels drop;
3) Provide Administrative and Operational Support to the Wajir Branch team;
4) Coordinate with staff on travel advances to ensure that travel advances are cleared within the allowable time;
5) Review travel claims of CTS staff and consultants for correctness and verify that claims conform to travel authorizations and regulations regarding routings, per diem, accommodation, and use of proper transportation;
6) Manage Cash accounts as per Finance Manual guidelines;
7) Facilitate external and/or funding agency auditors on their auditing assignments or special assignments;
8) Provide leadership and direction in ensuring efficient and effective utilization of administrative office resources and ensures employees work in an environment conducive to their professional satisfaction and development;
9) Provide leadership in ensuring the application of procurement procedures and that they are continuously reviewed to ensure efficient and effective support and are compliant with the funder requirements;
10) Provide direction, oversight and interpretation of policies and procedures that guide the day-to-day operations for CTS;
11) Review and recommend updates to finance and operations policy manuals as required;
12) Provide technical direction and oversight on compliance issues relating to HR, procurement and administrative procedures;
F) Input provided by Implementing Agency (CTS)
Aside from providing office space in Wajir, CTS will provide the Consultant with a computer and administrative support including communication facilities (internet and use of office phone).
G) Expected Outputs
The following outputs are expected from the Consultant:
Accurate monthly financial reports prepared and submitted to MC and CTS Head office by 8th of month following that of reporting;
Accurate budgets and up to date budget monitoring reflecting burn rates for decision making by the 8th day after the end of the reporting month;
Timely and accurate monthly forecasting;
Timely preparations and facilitation for audits when they fall due;
Ensure optimal utilization of administrative office resources by availing utilization reports and staying within budget;
No financial and management control findings including compliance and ensuring that management takes appropriate corrective action when failures are identified within an agreed upon timeframe.
H) Implementation arrangements
The consultant will work in close collaboration with the CTS Micro Finance Manager.
S/he will report to the MC Finance and Sub-grants Manager
S/he will be required to spend the entire assignment period on-site, in Wajir.
I) Assignment Period
The assignment will be for a period of three calendar months, with a possibility of transitioning into full time based on performance.
The performance of the consultant will be judged by
Whether tasks are carried out according to the SoW
Accuracy and completeness of periodic financial reports submitted
Speed and efficiency in work, according to planning
Work planning, priority setting, efficiency measures
Ability to work independently
J) Terms of Payment
A contract shall be signed between Mercy Corps and the Consultant.
The consultant shall be paid on a monthly basis (withholding taxes as per Kenyan tax laws) for the entire project Payment to the consultant will be performance based with not less than 33.33% of the total budget withheld and paid only when the CTS & Mercy Corps are satisfied that all outputs have been met and are of high quality standards.
K) Qualifications and experience required
A university degree in Commerce, Finance, Accounting or a related business field is required and certification CPA, ACCA is an added advantage;
Minimum 3 years of progressive working experience in Micro-finance environment with adequate exposure to project accounting, financial management, including budgeting, grants and contracts;
1-3 years hands-on working experience with donor-funded programs is preferred;
Strong analytical skills coupled with a solid understanding of financial and procurement systems;
Good administrative, operational and analytical skills;
Good knowledge of spoken and written English;
Good negotiation and interpersonal skills;
Proficiency in MS-Excel and MS-Office programs;
Understanding of financial records reconciliation
Must have demonstrable hands-on experience with an accounting system;
In-depth knowledge of Wajir town, leadership, local language and culture.
L) Bid submission
Please submit your proposal describing your interpretation of the TOR, your approach/method and workplan for the assignment, along with budget and Curiculum Vitae (CV) that contains details of the individual interested in undertaking the assignment.