This is a collection of jobs and vacancies in Kenya and beyond for Kenyans. Find jobs in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru , Nyeri, Eldoret and other major towns.
Feel free to submit jobs vacancies and positions in Kenya or for Kenyans to jobskenya @ ovi.com all at no cost.
Google Web Search
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
TechnoServe Pull and Push Mobile Service Delivery Platform Consultancy in Kenya
Request for Proposals (RFP) for Setting up and Rolling out Pull and Push Mobile Service Delivery Platform
TechnoServe invites suitably qualified consultants to submit a proposal to undertake the set up and roll out of Push and Pull SMS platform services in the pilot being undertaken by Technoserve’s Yieldwise Project in Machakos and Makueni Counties
1. General Information: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries.
We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets.
Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities.
With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
2. Project Overview: TechnoServe is partnering with Rockefeller Foundation through the Rockefeller Foundation’s Food Waste and Spoilage initiative to implement the YieldWise Programme.
Yieldwise pilot program which is aimed at reducing food loss among smallholder mango farmers in Kenya by increasing household incomes and expanding availability of safe and nutritious foods.
The partnership will support food loss reduction by increasing farmer access to quality-improving technologies and support holistic market-driven solutions to ensure strengthened demand to absorb the increased mango supply.
The project will aim to work with anchor buyers to create market pull for loss reduction by providing stable demand and ensure suppliers and farmers to adopt loss-reducing practices.
3. Purpose: A major area of agricultural innovation over the past few years has been in the development of ICT platforms and applications for communication between farmers and various agricultural services providers and management of related data (e.g. farmer name and location, cultivated areas, production or sales volumes, demand for inputs, etc.).
Several platforms have been developed and rolled out amongst various groups of Kenyan farmers. The purpose of this project is to select a consultancy firm to undertake the setting up and roll out of Push and Pull SMS platform services in the pilot being undertaken by Technoserve’s Yieldwise Project in Machakos and Makueni Counties; to make use of mobile technologies to increase extension information reach by farmers and other key actors working with the project, monitor quality and frequencies of responses, characterize different respondents in order to inform improvement of efficiency and effectiveness of SMS platform use.
4. The Objectives
The consulting firm will work with the Yieldwise team to:
1. Offer mobile extension services to mango farmers in Machakos through engaging them with a push messaging on an informational learning platform on good agricultural practices including farm hygiene and pruning. This shall include sending of customized short messages services (SMS) on the monthly training topic based on Yieldwise project’s GAP lesson plans.
2. Collect responses on monitoring & Evaluation, training evaluation and technologies adoption information exchanges (push and pull) from 1524 Yieldwise’s mango farmers in Machakos county. This will involve categorizing and analyzing farmers’ responses.
3. Offer marketing information service platform (Buyer-Seller) to 2194 mango farmers in Makueni County through engaging them with a Push-Pull messaging and interactive learning on GAPs, input requirements by farmers and products availability for sale to regional off takers. This shall include sending of customized short messages services (SMS) on inputs requirements and products to enlist interest among farmers for consolidation.
4. Pilot a virtual market model for the sample group, connecting them with buyers, input suppliers and others. This will include virtually linking the buyers and/or input providers with farmers and incorporating various types of service providers in the treatment sample. This will involve characterizing pilot farmers’ responses based on the needs identified and sharing these with the various service providers.
5. Identify and characterize various respondent types depending on frequency of response, needs identified in the responses and types of respondent .e.g. whether treatment or control and other possible categorization based on the theme of the survey being piloted.
6. Monitor the pilot survey response rates and make recommendations on SMS types and frequency of sending SMS to improve response rates by the different types of respondents.
7. Train the field staff on the on-going activities. Have meetings with project staff to review sms data response progress. Provide visibility of the data collection process by providing support to Yieldwise M & E coordinator.
8. To analyze and categorize the farmers and market actors based on responses and frequencies of response for ease of decision making by the Programme.
9. To characterize farmer/ market actors types based on 6 (Above)
5. Scope of Work
There are as varied agribusinesses utilizing IT services as there are different SMS platform service providers.
However at the moment there is fragmentation of the various SMS platforms, this has resulted into different, isolated platforms, each of them offering piecemeal services to the agricultural sector.
Besides, most of the platform tends to be less integratable with the already existing platform making investment into such an expensive affair.
This has led to a multiplying of independent information sharing media and data stores from which it is difficult to obtain data and information responses with which to make meaningful business decisions, with a consequent increase in business risks and costs.
In the course of piloting the SMS platform, the consulting firm will:
Interpret the current/selected training modules into appropriate/clients’ friendly language for ease of use by farmers and other market actors in the pilot programme.
Work with Yieldwise team to roll out the push and pull SMS services to the various clientele and evaluate their responses.
Analyze and characterize the farmers and other market actors based on response types and frequencies of responses
Work with project team to integrate the sms platform into the already existing platform for visualization
Share data set of system’s interaction with farmers and other market actors
6. Expected Deliverables
The successful consulting firms will have the following:
Ability of the firms’ sms platform to integrate with other systems.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the rolling out SMS services to last mile clientele
Experience in reaching out to clientele using local languages;
Experience in mobile SMS surveys
Experience in data analysis and visualization;
Initiative, resourcefulness, timeliness; and
Proven ability to achieve most responses in a 2-way SMS platforms.
8. Submission of Proposals
Submitted Proposals should include:
8.1 Statement of Competence
a. Profile of the lead consultant/s and/or the organization;
b. CVs of all relevant resource persons;
c. Table of information on relevant work done and clients served over the past five years; and
d. Two (2) samples of work done and reports produced over the past 2 years
8.2 Financial Proposal
a. Number of days and costs for the entire work;
b. A lump sum quotation, including fees and other relevant expenses;
c. Proposed payment terms and conditions.
8.3 Detailed workplan
a. clear workplan detailing key activities to be undertaken at each stage and completion of each deliverable
9. Terms and Conditions
a. The Request for Proposal (RFP) is not and shall not be considered an offer by TechnoServe.
b. All responses must be received on or before the date and time indicated in the RFP. All late responses will be rejected.
c. All unresponsive responses will be rejected.
d. All proposals will be considered binding offers. Prices proposed must be valid for entire period provided by respondent.
e. All awards will be subject to TECHNOSERVE contractual terms and conditions and contingent on the availability of donor funding.
f. TECHNOSERVE reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal or cancel the solicitation process at any time, and shall have no liability to the proposing organizations submitting proposals for such rejection or cancellation of the RFPs.
g. TECHNOSERVE reserves the right to accept all or part of the proposal when award is provided.
h. All information provided by TECHNOSERVE in this RFP is offered in good faith. Individual items are subject to change at any time, and all bidders will be provided with notification of any changes. TECHNOSERVE is not responsible or liable for any use of the information submitted by bidders or for any claims asserted therefrom.
i. TECHNOSERVE reserves the right to require any bidder to enter into a non-disclosure agreement.
j. The bidders are solely obligated to pay for any costs, of any kind whatsoever, which may be incurred by bidder or any third parties, in connection with the Response.
All responses and supporting documentation shall become the property of TECHNOSERVE, subject to claims of confidentiality in respect of the response and supporting documentation, which have been clearly marked confidential by the bidder.
10. Criteria for Selection
The evaluation of each response to this RFP will be based on the requirements set out in the solicitation and any addenda thereto.
At the sole discretion of TECHNOSERVE, the top proposals may be selected for follow-up questions or to provide an oral presentation.
The following weighting and points will be assigned to the proposal for evaluation purposes:
11. Clients Details
12. Financial Evaluation (20 Marks)
Technoserve reserves the right to award the contract to the individual or organization whose proposal is deemed to be in the best interest of TECHNOSERVE.
The Organization/individual with the winning proposal will be notified in writing. Those who were not selected may or may not be notified, at the sole discretion of TECHNOSERVE.
Please note TECHNOSERVE will only consider financial proposals from firms/individuals who have technical capacity
Interested firms must submit a complete technical and financial proposals.
The technical proposal must provide information indicating their qualification; the approach including a summary of the process undertaking the assignment explained; capabilities and details of similar/related assignments in the last three years and names and contacts of clients, and availability of facilities and resources including financials as well as human capital to carry out the assignment.
12.0 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
a. Questions regarding this RFP may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org; and must be received no later than 7th April 2017.
Responses to questions will be distributed to all interested parties no later than 10th April 2017.
b. Completed responses to the RFP with title clearly marked as “ICT Informational Platform” ‘should be addressed to the email address below: